- 1 pound white or red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, grated
- 1/2 bunch parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
Combine cabbage, celery, peppers, onion, and parsley in a large bowl and set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook just enough to melt the sugar. Pour over vegetables, give it all a good stir, and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before refrigerating to blend flavors.
Recipe from Who Wants Seconds: Sociable Suppers for Vegans, Omnivores and Everyone in Between, Prospect Park Books. Cover photographer David Kiang.