- ½ cup minced onion or shallot
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 12 ounces shiitakes, stems removed, chopped coarsely
- 2 stems of fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup cream cheese (optional)
Put about 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide sauté pan and put on medium heat. Add the onion or shallot and garlic and cook until slightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and continue to cook. When the mushrooms have released most of their liquid and are starting to brown, add the sherry and stir, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the cream and thyme and continue to cook until the mixture has thickened to a near paste. Remove from heat, add Parmesan and adjust seasonings to taste.
If adding cream cheese, cool the mixture a little then fold the cream cheese in until well blended.
Serve with plain crackers or bread.