- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar, plus extra for coating cooked donuts
- 1 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Bakewell Cream*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Oil for deep-fat frying
*Nedd uses Bakewell Cream in place of cream of tartar. She says that it gives her donuts more springiness.
In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the squash mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (dough will be very soft).
Turn dough onto a heavily floured surface; roll to ½-inch thickness. Cut with a 2½-inch donut cutter. Heat oil to 375°. Fry the donuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Toss with sugar, if desired.